Steps to Evaluate a Surveillance System.
1. Describe the PUBLIC HEALTH IMPORTANCE of health event under surveillance.
2. Describe the SURVEILLANCE SYSTEM to be evaluated.
- List its objectives
- Describe the health event - case definition / population definition
- Draw a flowchart of system
- Describe the systems components - ie. cover each 'principle of surveillance'
3. Indicate the level of USEFULNESS
5. Evaluate QUALITY by assessing attributes:
6. List CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS.
Method 1: Use -mnemonic 'CCDC's HATE IT' (in addition to other 'STEPS')
C - Count Cases
H - Hypothesis formulation
I - Identify cases - create case definition
1. Define an outbreak
2. Define the objectives of outbreak investigation
3. State the steps taken in an outbreak investigation
1. Outbreak = A localised epidemic of two or more cases of disease related in time and or place in excess of normal expectancy.
a. Identify source and mode of spread
b. Interrupt further transmission
c. Prevent secondary spread
e. Introduce future preventative measures
3. Outbreak Investigation Process
© Sarah Anderson, Gayatri Manikkavasagan 2008, Kiran Attridge 2016